We had a terrific turnout, perfect weather, lovely setting. We even have photos to show you! I'd like to send some of the comments we received, as well as some of the regrets of people who couldn't come.
Before I get to the comments, we have a photo album already! I will probably put it on a tab on the website (be sure to check this out): https://smhs1965.blogspot.com/
but here is a direct link to the photo album that anyone will be able to view:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrNnDEmRxucmr8299
If you have photos you want to share, send a few at a time to my email, slopoet@gmail.com, or text me at 2038933497. If you have a Google password I think you can just add them yourself to the album.
Another detail. Several of you have asked if I could send an email list. I have about 111 people's emails, and if you receive this email, you are on that list. I don't feel comfortable putting it on the website, as many of you would probably not like to have their private information available to whomever. But I'd be happy to send either individual emails, or the entire list, to someone who asks me for it. But PLEASE, if you received this email and do NOT want to be contacted or have your email address given out to others in our class, just let me know and I will take you off the list.
Now on to the comments!
Steve Snyder wanted me particularly to send his comment about the event:
It was great seeing you all again. I had a really fun time, and recognized most of you, especially the "Carver Kids". Thanks again to the Reunion Committee for arranging everything. The location was perfect.
Reflecting on the Reunion, I thought how lucky we were/and are. Our parents were The Greatest Generation. Having gone through the Great Depression and World War II, their values, faith, character, work ethic, etc, etc was unparalleled. They were wonderful role models for us.
Growing up in the 1950s was so much fun, and we had so much freedom to "go out and play". We became the TV and Walt Disney generation. The U.S. economy was booming and our parents wanted us to have "a better life" than them and spoiled us doing so.
We grew up in the quiet, safe, and affluent community of San Marino and went through excellent schools. In high school, we witnessed the birth of the two greatest rock bands of all time The Beatles and the Rolling Stones, plus the peak of Motown. The Golden Age of Surfing and surf music began and everyone "hit the Beach". It was an incredible time. It was also a very innocent time which dramatically changed during our college years and the "Psychedelic 60s."
Our parents were The Greatest Generation, and I think we were The Most Blessed Generation.
Everyone take care and God bless. Steve
Leslie Dixon Blackburn wrote to us: So many fun contacts and still I missed some. Thank you for all the thought and effort that went into making this happen. It was perfect.
Ed Bergstrom wrote to us: Dear Robin, Sharon, Janis, Julie, Carol, and Cort, Our SMHS Class of 1965 60th Reunion was a most memorable day for us. Gipsy and I had a wonderful time! Thank you for all of your efforts in planning and organizing such a fun afternoon. They are sincerely appreciated. Robin: Your selection of the beautiful venue and time for the Reunion were perfect. We were especially grateful that we didn't have to drive to/from the event in the dark. Thanks again for a job well done. GO TITANS! Sincerely, Ed & Gipsy Bergstrom P.S. Incidentally, our wedding anniversary is also on September 28. What a great way to celebrate part of our 51st Anniversary in Newport Beach!
Jeanne Coughlin Mills wrote: Just a quick "thank you" to the reunion committee members, Julie, Cort, Janis, Sharon, Carol and Robin for yesterday's gathering. Please know all your efforts are greatly appreciated! Also appreciated was the choice of mid-day on a Sunday for traffic and no night driving purposes. Great idea! It was wonderful to see everyone. Go Titans! My best, Jeanie Coughlin Mills
Joan Anthony Gill sent photos and said: Thank you so much for helping to make the day special! Still thinking about everyone!
Dan Skendarian was all set to come but wrote us these regrets: Good morning Sharon. Not feeling well since last night and probably should not be a good idea for me to attend today. I will truly miss this event. My best to all. Dan
Lynda Johnson Locke also wrote me the last day: Well I guess I am jinxed when it comes to reunions! Have a sinus infection (haven't been sick all year!) and couldn't fly and with all the rain and flooding wasn't about to drive. It's still raining up here. I am heartbroken. Please give my best to all and send pictures!!! Have a great time!
Cynthia Sawyer (who DID come all the way from Nice, France!) mentioned that Rhonda Brady lives near Turin, Italy, and probably wouldn't be able to come.
Renee Peyton Warren was thinking of coming but it didn't work out. She said "Thanks to all of you who try to keep our class together. I'm sure it's like herding cats."
Clare Hubbard Kelm wrote: How exciting that a 60th reunion is in the works! I would love to come, but it's a long way to travel from San Juan Island in Washington to So. Calif.
John Schmitz wrote: Hi Sharon, thanks for letting me know about the reunion. Don't know if we can make it yet though. Say hi to Joe Hearn for me if we don't show up. John Schmitz
Karin Kratzer Crawford was not able to come but wrote me: Dear Sharon, Thank you for contacting me. I am thinking about coming to the reunion. I haven’t been to a single one yet and I think it’s a blessing that I’m still around so that I can attend.
Fred Rusk was not able to come but wrote me this in April: I hope to make it to the reunion and say Hi to you. Life is OK the ranch is located on an Island in the middle of the Snake River close to Blackfoot, Idaho. Very peaceful and we have deer and moose as well as Bald and Golden eagles on the Island. My Foreman keeps me (or tries) out of trouble as well as does 80% of the cooking. The cleaning lady comes every other week and COST CO. is only about 20 miles away. Life for this old man is not to bad as the Lord has blessed me in so many ways.
Here's a note from Vicki Jones Miller: Hi Sharon, Thanks so much for coordinating the reunion communications. I won’t be attending this one, since Sept 28th is my brother Wally’s BD (SMHS class of 1960), and I’ll be spending the weekend with his family to celebrate. It’s a milestone birthday for him, since he recently completed 35 sessions of radiation for his Stage 4 cancer. We lost our younger sister (Robin Jones Jamplis, SMHS class of 1970) to cancer 3 years ago, so it’s just us now. I did attend our last reunion in Newport and was surprised it was such a small group after the huge turnout for our 40th at Brad’s house. So thanks for those photo memories! I’m still in frequent touch with Jeanie Mills, since we were in the same college sorority. So I’ll catch up on SMHS reunion news from her. Thanks again, Vicki Jones Miller
Skip Allyn wrote the following: Hi Sharon- Thanks to you and Robin and the other organizers for finding and including me on the reunion invitation. Please add my current email skip@bcallynlaw.com to “the list” for future communications. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to make it to the reunion, but I’ll be thinking of you guys.
Cathy Bennett Moody wrote: Hi Sharon, Sorry to say I will not be able to make the reunion. We already have family commitments and live too far away (Texas) to just drop by and say hello. I hope you all have a wonderful time. Can’t believe it has been 60 years since we graduated with such a great class. Kindly, Cathy (Bennett) Moody
Lynn Houston Denker was not able to come but wrote in June: Hi, Sharon! Please put me down as a “maybe”. Thank you for all your hard work in planning the reunion. ❤️Lynn Houston Denker
Eve Horton Utley wrote the following: Hi everyone, This is Eve Horton Utley. I’m sorry that I will not be coming to the reunion this year. I hope those who can come have a great time!! Thanks for reaching out to me and everyone from our class!
Karey Ritter Kumli wrote: Hi Sharon, and classmates! I have pondered this event with much consideration, and have finally determined that I cannot come. If it were closer geographically I'd be there in a heartbeat. But with the combination of new interns in Pacific Manta Research Group, maintenance and modification on my sailboat in preparation to relocate to San Francisco Bay, and my granddaughters' prolific softball games, I just can't be away for even a few days. I look forward to the photos! And wish everybody a fabulous time... Karey
Ginny McCutcheon Palmer was not able to come but wrote me in July: Hi Sharon I wanted to let you know that I don’t think I will be able to come to the reunion. I am sad because it would be fun to see everyone but my heart isn’t cooperating very well and as of now I need to stay closer to home. It is hard to believe 60 years have passed, life has changed so much since those San Marino High School times and here we are, thankful for each day we have left and getting closer to the big 80. If things change I will let you know but even with a driver it is a long way to come from the central coast down to Newport. All my best to you and the others who have worked so hard to put this together. I hope we can stay in touch and maybe my heart will decide to cooperate in September. Ginny McCutcheon Palmer
And our foreign exchange student Roberto Vigotti wrote me the following: Dear Sharon Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop of the Class reunion!! Still a superb memory of my year with all of you. I will not able to join in person but I will follow you from Rome. You may wish to know that after 35 years of working as researcher in the Italian National Utility I am still very active as Secretary General of RES4Africa Foundation, dedicated to create a bridge between Europe and Africa.
When I asked Roberto if he remembered we had lockers on top of each other, he replied: Of course I remember that we had lockers close….I consider my San Marino year and the school as one of most important event in my life,,,,,so be sure I will follow you all. And 80% of my accomplishments mentioned in my CV were possible because of my American experience (language, behavior, team work etc,).
[Note that Roberto wrote these amusing words in my senior yearbook: "I had a great time here and I am happy I met friendly people like you. I am sorry I will not have anyone now who can stay in front of my locker and make me wait half an hour!! I am kidding. Have a terrific time and good luck. CIAO Roberto"]
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment